Surprisingly, not all great east coast food includes our delicious donair spice. But these are some of our favourites from mom's recipe book.
Grampy's Seafood Chowder ( for a Crowd )
4 lbs. haddock fillets( uncooked)
2 & 1/2 lbs scallops sliced crosswise( uncooked)
1 & 1/2 lb lobster meat(cooked)
1 can lobster paste
1/2 cup butter
2 large onions chopped ( small )
3-4 medium size carrots chopped ( small )
10 large potatoes cut in 3/4" pieces
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tsp sea salt ( fine )
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp fresh or dried parsley
1 tbsp. white sugar
6-8 cups water
2 cans carnation evaporated milk
2 cups milk
1 litre whipping cream(35%) un-whipped
- In large pot melt butter.
- Add chopped onions and cook until tender.
- Remove onions and put scallops in for about 3 minutes.
- Remove scallops and add 4 cups of the water.
- Add chopped carrots and cook until almost tender.
- Remove carrots and add 2-4 more cups water
- Add pepper, sea salt, paprika, sugar, bring to a simmer.
- Add extra water if necessary to cover potatoes
- Add potatoes and cook until 3/4's done.
- Add haddock fillets. Cook for about 2 -3minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients that you had removed previously.
- Add lobster meat
- Mixture should be very thick.
- Add lobster paste. Stir gently as to not break fillets to small.
- Add 1 can carnation milk,2 cups milk, and 1/2 of the cream.
- Stir very gently.
- Add 2nd can of milk and rest of cream as necessary.
- Heat on low/med. Until heated through.
- At this point you can add more salt, pepper, to taste.
- You can also add a bit more sugar to bring out the flavor of the seafood but just add 1/2 tsp at a time you don't want it to be to sweet.
- Sprinkle parsley over chowder or in individual bowls whatever your preference.
- If you plan to make this chowder the day before needed.
- DO NOT ADD MILK PRODUCTS the day before.
- Make the base(without milk products)
- Let cool down a while and put in fridge without a cover.
- Stir several times to make sure base is being properly cooled.
- Add milk before serving and heat through well on med heat stirring often.
- This chowder is simply delicious when made with great care.
Serve with fresh made rolls, or Nanny's tea biscuits.
Great food takes time!!!